Tuesday 1 June 2021

Coffee Table Clean Up

I got this coffee table thanks to my friend DDT, which I outlined in this post, here

It was already in need of a little love back then, and now after a move across the country, it was definitely time.


Obviously the first thing I did was employ slave labour.


Once we finished sanding, we cleaned it really well, ensuring all the sand was off of it. Much to my surprise, the center of the table and the sides were not the same wood species. Cool. Cool, cool, cool, cooooo, coooo....


As you know from other posts, my favourite product is tung oil. 
I always find the instructions weird, however. Leave on 5-10 minutes and then wipe off. However, if I leave it that long, it always gums up. So, instead I apply liberally, over entire surface, and by the time I get from one end to the other (2 minutes?), I start at the beginning and remove it. This always works best for me. If you use a different product and have different results, let me know.

Additional notes:
-Before I started, I sanded a small section on the bottom of the table to see what the actual wood colour was, and used tung oil on that spot. Once I saw the colour, I decided to go ahead with tung oil.
-I re-sanded after the first coat of tung oil with 320 grit sandpaper.
-I then added two more coats.
-There are 24 hours between each coat.


With only one coat, the natural beauty of the wood is obvious. The two-tone wood is a different look than before, but I like it.


After a second coat, the cat is in agreement that this is a good look.


I have more things to finish in the living room, but this is one item off the list!


The luster/sheen of tung oil is so naturally beautiful. This is why I love this product.


A quick styling of the table includes:
-a cork trivet with a plant on it
-a wood puzzle
-some books including: Vancouver Interiors (I'm originally from BC, though not Vancouver); Borough Market in London (where I worked for a couple of years); and a book on the Arts & Crafts movement in design.


Here's a final before and after.


Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, that is fantastic! The two-tone wood looks so good. Matches the mid-modern style perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, A! It's shape was already MCM, so it only makes sense to keep the finish natural. It was a bit of a shock, though, to discover two different woods!

      Delete

Check us out on Pinterest and Instagram too!