Sunday 24 March 2013

Junking vs. Antiquing

Although I come home with some pretty fantastic finds, getting them isn't always as easy as it seems.
The sometimes treacherous world of junking is not for the faint of heart, or for the impatient for that matter!

Most often, there is a real difference between antiquing and junking.


For example, in an Antique shop, you can find some pretty awesome and pristine finds like this drool-worthy wood card catalogue. I have been looking for one forever! But of course, you also pay the price for something like this in an Antique shop.


This amazing old gasoline pump would be right at home on the lot of the show American Restoration.
My husband and I can totally envision this beaut in his step-dad's shop. As a heavy-duty mechanic, he might even be able to remember when these looked like this.


The inside of a completely working juke box. I am sad that I didn't take a complete photo.
It was a real thing to behold. The shop manager even started it up for me to take a listen.


This photo gives an idea of what the inside of this antique shop looked like. 
It was highly eclectic, with items ranging from antique to retro, but you can bet your bottom dollar, they know what things are worth.

 

Although this shop had a bunch of reproduction furniture, it was also extremely well made and solid wood, so it is still a great source.


There is a lot to look at, and a lot of local history with Ontario road signs, and old greyhound signs (likely from the Ottawa-Carleton raceway).

  

Not in nearly as good of condition as the last catalogue, but again, it is still pricey.


I love these old barber chairs. They have seen better days, but the wear and character is pretty cool.



My step dad might find it interesting as well....


And then there is real junking, where you have to look in every nook and cranny, and are in constant fear of the junk toppling over on you...
This is one of my favorite places, and I thank melting plastic for showing it to me!


There is something about the clutter and mismatch of items that is so appealing to me.


Note the table on table on table.... so risky, so exciting!


And then there is the book room. I cannot describe adequately how maze-like it is, nor can any photograph show how high everything is stacked. I did my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check us out on Pinterest and Instagram too!