Saturday 30 March 2019

Dapper Dresser

We picked up this free Kijiji dresser almost a year ago. It was the perfect size for M's room. Plus, it has mid-century lines that I love.

BEFORE

It came with some minor damage, but after a humidifier leaked, it wreaked havoc on the top...
Well, crap!


This gave me the opportunity to finally do something fun with this dresser.



Instead of refinishing the wood, I decided to paint the casework. This will help define the wood on the drawers allowing them to pop.


I also didn't want to paint the entire case, so painter's tame in some key places is required.


Ahhh, so much better!!


BUT... I wanted to do something a little different, so I turned my attention to the drawers.
(because why wouldn't I want to take this too far...)


I chose a white and blue fabric from the local Fabricland, and I cut the fabric to about 2 inches larger than the drawer front. Then I used some Modge Podge on the drawer and carefully put the fabric down. Once dry, I used scissors to cut along the edges and used a little bit more Modge Podge to seal the edges. Finally, a quick rub with some sandpaper to clean up the edges, and it was done!


On another drawer, I used some left over paint that matched the print. This time, I painted the edge of the drawer as well.

AFTER

I wanted the wood to show through, but also create an interesting asymmetric look.
I adore how this one turned out!! Yes! The risk paid off!





Let me know what you think in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. Pat this is SO GOOD. It looks so completely different to the original piece and yet it works so well with the mid-century moderness of it.

    Did you update the top of it at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! The top was quite water damaged, so it was painted white. I let the undamaged wood drawers shine, instead.

      Delete

Check us out on Pinterest and Instagram too!